From: "David Trask" <dtr...@vcsvikings.org>
To: edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Sent: Monday, 12 December, 2011 5:06:09 PM
Subject: Ok...I'm back...Autologin and shutting down/rebooting thin-clients
remotely

It's been a while. I've been out of the edubuntu loop (I was one of the
original users) for a while as I've been using something else, but necessity
and desire have brought me back. It's good to be back too. I've set up a test
server and clients for 11.10 and have been playing around. iTalc does most of
what I need. BUT...

Here's what I need to do. For our youngest kids (kindergarten), I need to set
the thin-clients to login automatically in the computer lab. Having them try to
log in is simply too time consuming at that age. What I do now is set my lab to
"auto-login" for the first period and then at the end of the period, I set it
back to "normal login". I can figure out how to do it sorta' manually by having
two copies of lts.conf and switching between them...one with autologin set up
with ldm and one without. (I cannot just do the default autologin=true as the
server is for the whole building and I'm simply trying to control one computer
lab). Now...if there is a more elegant solution, I'm happy to try it. My issue
is....

In order for my idea to work, I need to be able to physically reboot the
thin-clients or they don't pick up the change in lts.conf. Is there a way to
reboot and/or shut-down thin-clients? I would imagine if one can ssh into the
thin-clients, then they can be rebooted...correct? Then perhaps I could script
it? Any ideas and how-to's are welcome. (I could even use some tips on how to
ssh into the clients) Thanks!

David Trask
Technology Director/Teacher
Vassalboro Community School