Locking down the installed applications is easy enough, normal users won't
have the rights to add or remove software.  Locking down the desktop so
that the appropriate resources are on it and stay there is another matter
and depends on what desktop environment you choose.  We went with Xfce as
it uses less resources than Unity and you can lock down the desktop and put
your application links in place and manipulate other pieces relatively
easily.

Lxde (from Lubuntu) is even lighter in terms of system resources (and so
faster on a netbook) but we couldn't lock it down the way we wanted to.

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 7:38 AM, Roy Richardson <roysn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am seeking advice on using Edubuntu on a mobile lab of netbooks.
> Specifically, is there a way to configure Edubuntu on a netbook with the
> program installations that I would like students to have access to and then
> "lock it down" so that changes aren't made accidently or on purpose by the
> many different users that will access the mobile lab?
>
> Any thoughts, suggestions, or directions, will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Roy Richardson
>
> --

Steve Rippl