Dear Colleagues,

Please find here the program of the second edition of the online conference The
Metametaphysics of Social Ontology, which will take place on January 11 and 12,
2023.
To register, please go here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeh8OS3JNF7xGwDnUYBw6N-WwBFmThtpfIUAvQhCyiF50WrsQ/viewform>.

For more information, please click here
<https://mmso.hypotheses.org/mmso23-conference-program>.

Best regards,

Raphaël Künstler

--------------------------------

Chèr-e-s Collègues,

Veuillez trouver ici le programme de la seconde édition du colloque The
Metametaphysics of Social Ontology, qui aura lieu les 11 et 12 janvier
prochain, en visioconférence.
Pour vous y inscrire, merci de vous rendre ici
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeh8OS3JNF7xGwDnUYBw6N-WwBFmThtpfIUAvQhCyiF50WrsQ/viewform>.

Pour davantage de renseignements, c’est ici.
<https://mmso.hypotheses.org/mmso23-conference-program>

Bien cordialement,

Raphaël Künstler

———————————————————
Raphaël Künstler
Directeur de la collection "Métaphysique et Sciences", Hermann
Professeur agrégé
Université Toulouse II - Jean Jaurès
Département de philosophie
Bureau GS31
5 allée Antonio Machado
31058 Toulouse
https://raphaelkunstler.com/ <https://raphaelkunstler.com/>
https://raphaelkunstler.com/
<https://raphaelkunstler.com/>https://erraphis.univ-tlse2.fr/accueil-erraphis/equipe/kunstler-raphael
 <https://erraphis.univ-tlse2.fr/accueil-erraphis/equipe/kunstler-raphael>
https://www.college-de-france.fr/site/metaphysique-philosophie-connaissance/Raphael-Kunstler.htm

<https://www.college-de-france.fr/site/metaphysique-philosophie-connaissance/Raphael-Kunstler.htm>
https://mmso.hypotheses.org/ <https://mmso.hypotheses.org/>
https://sph.hypotheses.org/ <https://sph.hypotheses.org/>
https://interpreter.hypotheses.org/ <https://interpreter.hypotheses.org/>
Salle de réunion personnelle :
https://univ-tlse2.zoom.us/j/2812219385

Wednesday, January 11

2 p.m. — Åsa Burman (Stockholm University) — Nonideal Social Ontology

This talk starts from the observation that there are two different research
frames within contemporary social ontology. It argues that the key questions
and central dividing lines within contemporary social ontology can be
fruitfully reconstructed as a clash between two worlds, referred to as ideal
and nonideal social ontology. Ideal social ontology is characterized by
consensus and cooperation, while nonideal social ontology is characterized by
conflict and contestation. I characterize ideal social ontology by developing
the standard model of ideal social ontology (the dominant version of ideal
social ontology). The standard model is  exemplified by the works of Margaret
Gilbert, John Searle, and Raimo Tuomela. This model thus synthesizes central
assumptions from the three works that shaped the research field of ideal social
ontology and shows their explicit and implicit assumptions about social
reality. This standard model has a crucial implication: it has shaped what socia
 l ontologists understand the social phenomena to be analyzed to be—direct,
transparent, and deontic social phenomena built on consensus. Consequently,
this model offers only a partial view of the social world while claiming it is
general. I then argue for the use of nonideal theory in social ontology. My
central claim is that a paradigm shift is underway in contemporary social
ontology, from ideal to nonideal, and that this shift should be fully followed
through (Burman 2023)
<https://global.oup.com/academic/product/nonideal-social-ontology-9780197509579?q=burman%20ontology&lang=en&cc=us#>.

3 p.m. — Katharine Jenkins (University of Glasgow) — Ontology and Oppression:
The Case of Gender Recognition

This talk argues that the fact of being socially constructed as a member of a
certain social kind can, in some cases, be wrongful in and of itself. It is
commonly recognised that the social arrangements that bring human social kinds
(kinds such as judge or wife) into being can be unjust or even oppressive, and
that being made into a member of a human social kind can have unjust and
oppressive consequences. I go further, however, arguing that we can and should
subject human social kinds to direct normative assessment, and offering
philosophical tools for doing so, chiefly an account of ‘ontic oppression’
(conceived of as a sub-type of ‘ontic injustice’ (Jenkins 2020). I then
illustrate this approach by considering a case study, namely gender
recognition, currently a site of bitter political disputes in the UK. I argue
that attempts to improve the social and political situation of trans people
should focus less on claims about what gender kinds are, and more on pragmati
 c considerations concerning (1) the consequences of different ways of
arranging social practices of gender differentiation and (2) how morally and
political acceptable (or unacceptable) these consequences are.

4 p.m. — Asya Passinsky (Central European University) — Social Construction and
Meta-Ground

The notion of social construction plays an important role in many areas of
social philosophy, including the philosophy of gender, the philosophy of race,
and social ontology. Yet there is no consensus in the literature on how this
notion is to be understood. One promising proposal, which has been championed
in recent years by Brian Epstein (2015, 2016), Aaron Griffith (2017, 2018), and
Jonathan Schaffer (2017), is that social construction may be understood in
terms of the notion of metaphysical grounding. However, a simple
ground-theoretic analysis of social construction is subject to familiar
counterexamples, and it is far from clear how to modify the analysis to avoid
the counterexamples. I argue that some initially plausible strategies for
dealing with the counterexamples fail. I then develop and defend a new strategy
for dealing with the counterexamples—one which leads to a novel
ground-theoretic account of social construction in terms of meta-ground.

5 p.m. — Brian Epstein (Tufts University) — TBA

Thursday, January 12

2 p.m. — Maryam Ebrahimi Dinani (Jean Nicod Institute) — Social institutions
and two types of underlying principles

The aim of this talk is to introduce a distinction between two types of
principles underlying institutional practices: principles which reveal the
raison d’être of institutional practices, and principles which determine the
obtaining and functioning of institutional entities. I will start by telling a
story of levelling in order to make the distinction tangible: I will suggest
that essential principles pertain to the relation between institutional
practices –such as competitive games and marriage– and the underlying values
and functions, in view of which they emerge. When these practices are
institutionalized in one form or another –French marriage, chess, etc.– we pass
through definitional principles, which pertain to the instantiation conditions
of the practice in a particular form, against the background of its essential
rules. I will then argue that although the truth of definitional principles is
contingent on their being operative in a certain context, the tr
 uth of essential principles is independent of their operativeness and, a
fortiori, independent of our representations and attitudes. After introducing
the notion of essentially-social acts as those which require joint attitudes
for their possibility, I will focus on communicative [speech] acts as a subset
of essentially-social acts and argue that certain communicative acts like
promising and commanding belong, as kinds, to the institutional realm even
though they are not in need of definitional principles for their instantiation.

3 p.m. — Matti Sarkia (University of Helsinki) — Social ontology as theoretical
modelling

Theoretical modeling has been analyzed as a distinctive strategy of scientific
investigation, which is based on the indirect investigation of the world by the
mediation of a surrogate system, instead of studying the world directly,
through empirical observation and experiment (Godfrey-Smith 2006; Weisberg
2007; 2013). Drawing on my earlier work (Sarkia 2021a; 2021b), I will argue
that much (even if not all) research in social ontology may also be understood
as theoretical modeling, where deliberately abstract and idealized surrogate
systems are constructed for the study of the basic building blocks of the
social world. Understanding social ontology as theoretical modeling makes it
possible to better understand the types of standards of success that apply to
it, and to identify new continuities between social ontology and the social
sciences.

4 p.m. — Daniel Little (University of Michigan-Dearborn) — Can critical
realists embrace ontological individualism?

Most critical realists would probably insist that their philosophy of social
science is flatly opposed to any form of individualism. Roy Bhaskar and many of
his followers emphasize the reality of social structures, a view about the
reality of social causal mechanisms, a fairly strong form of emergence, and a
determined opposition to methodological individualism. However, it will be
argued here that CR rejection of reductionist individualism is unwarranted when
directed at the position of ontological individualism. Ontological
individualism is not a reductionist doctrine, but rather a view about the
constitution of the social world. It maintains that social entities, powers,
and conditions are all constituted by the actions, thoughts, and mental
frameworks of individual human beings, and nothing else. The social world is
constituted by the socially situated individuals who make it up. This ontology
does not question the undoubtable fact that individuals have social properties
 — beliefs, values, practices, habits, and relationships — that are integral to
their consciousness and agency. But these properties themselves are the
recursive effects of prior sets of socially constituted, socially situated
individuals who have contributed to their formation as social actors. The paper
will demonstrate that the critical realist positions taken by Bhaskar, Archer,
and Lawson can be fully expressed without loss within the ontological framework
of ontological individualism. This finding enhances the antecedent credibility
of critical realism rather than diminishing it.

5 p.m. —Muhammad Ali Khalidi (City University of New York) — Social Ontology or
Metaphysics of Social Science?

Philosophers interested in the metaphysics of the social world sometimes appear
to be pursuing two distinct projects.  One project involves understanding the
domain of individuals, groups, artifacts, and other entities that populate our
ordinary human lives.  The other project concerns the foundations of the social
sciences, including the institutions, processes, and events that are studied in
systematic inquiries in such disciplines as economics, sociology, and political
science.  No doubt there is some overlap in the entities and kinds that are
under investigation, as well as in some of the methods used in undertaking the
two investigations.  But there are certainly some important differences of
emphasis.  For example, among the kinds dealt with in the first project are
ones like university professors, sports teams, department meetings, friendly
walks, and screwdrivers, which do not seem to feature in the second project.
Meanwhile, the kinds investigated in the second proj
 ect are those like consumers, inflation, government, recession,
industrialization, and revolution.  Moreover, the methods of the first project
tend to involve reflecting on and analyzing concepts that pertain to our
everyday lives, and the results are answerable to commonly held beliefs or
intuitions, whereas the methods of the second project require close attention
to empirical work in the social sciences.  Finally, the conclusions of the two
inquiries may well turn out to diverge.  For example, the first project might
conclude that kinds have less determinate individuation conditions than the
second project.  How should we attempt to reconcile these two projects?  Should
the pursuit of “folk social ontology” be clearly distinguished from the
“metaphysics of social science,” or should we try to merge the two enterprises,
and if so how?

--
https://www.vidal-rosset.net/mailing_list_educasupphilo.html

Répondre à