It is my understanding that a transparent proxy is unable to identify users.
This is not a limitation of Endian firewall, but a limitation of the
transparent proxy method.

In order to identify users, you must set your users to use a non-transparent
proxy. This method can allow the users to identify themselves as they make
requests of the proxy. Endian is setup so that the users can be an internel
list, an LDAP, or a Active Directory (which we use in our setup). To prevent
users from getting around the use of the proxy (and thus enforcing that we
identify our users), we block all outgoing traffic with the Endian firewall,
especially ports 80 (http) and 443 (https).

The difficulty then becomes setting up your users' browser so that they use the
proxy server. Endian does some magic here as well: They have already setup on
the firewall a proxy.pac and a wpad.dat file, which are used in proxy
auto-configuration. See these wikipedia articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_auto-config
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Proxy_Autodiscovery_Protocol

For us, in a mixed environment, we have had mixed success with setting up the
proxy server on user's browsers. On our Windows clients, we are able to setup a
group policy which set's internet explorer's proxy settings for all our users
automatically. For the Group Policy instructions, see here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274846

Firefox on Windows required a little more work to get working, since it has
its' own proxy settings, and did not use the system's set proxy settings by
default. I was able to make a login script which worked for us:

:: setffproxytoauto.cmd
:: Make sure the folder we want to edit exists. Otherwise, Exit cleanly here.
if NOT exist "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref\local-settings.js"
goto :update
exit
:update
:: Load the prefrence.
echo pref("network.proxy.type", 4); > "%programfiles%\Mozilla
Firefox\defaults\pref\local-settings.js"

The good news is that in windows, when these settings are set, the in-browser
support for NTLM kicks in and the users are identified by their Active
Directory login, without having to provide any credentials when accessing the
web.

-----

On the Mac side, it's been a different story.

Safari uses the proxy settings which are set in System Preferences. These
settings can be set by a Open Directory, but if you don't have one you can push
the settings using Apple Remote Desktop:

networksetup -listallnetworkservices |
grep -v '*' |
grep -i 'ethernet' |
while read service; do
        networksetup -setwebproxy "$service" <<INSERT PROXY IP>> 8080
done

Firefox on the Mac has a script similar to the windows version which I push
with ARD to set it's proxy:

echo pref\(\"network.proxy.type\", 4\)\; > \
/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/defaults/pref/local-settings.js

The problem with the Mac side of things is that the browsers do _not_ support
NTLM, at least I haven't been able to make that work yet. Because of this, the
users will be asked to authenticate when they try to access their first web
page. What's worse, the browsers will ask multiple times for authentication in
many situations: If your browser opens in many tabs and/or if your browser has
RSS feeds in it's bookmarks bar. This multiple-authentication popup moves it
from Annoyance to Frustration. I am working on solutions to this, hopefully by
making NTLM on Mac work with Endian.

Once your users are using the non-transparent proxy, you will have the option
to allow or deny users based on your Access Policies. As a test, I have myself
blocked from woot.com... and I can't get there, but my fellow workmates can.

I hope this information is useful. If you find any other useful tidbits, please
send them back this way!

--Matt Ross
Ephrata School District