Berikut wawancara dengan John Perkins, seorang
Economic Hitman. Tugasnya adalah membangun "kerajaan"
Amerika. Menciptakan situasi sehingga sebanyak mungkin
seluruh sumber daya (migas, emas, perak, dsb) mengalir
ke perusahaan2 AS dan negara AS.

Oleh karena itu, tak heran kita melihat berbagai
perusahaan AS menguras sumber daya alam kita, sehingga
keuntungannya mengalir ke AS dan mensejahterakan
rakyat di sana, sementara rakyat Indonesia sebagian
mati kelaparan.

RUSH TRANSCRIPT:

AMY GOODMAN: John Perkins joins us now in our
firehouse studio. Welcome to Democracy Now!

JOHN PERKINS: Thank you, Amy. It’s great to be here.

AMY GOODMAN: It’s good to have you with us. Okay,
explain this term, “economic hit man,” e.h.m., as you
call it.

JOHN PERKINS: Basically what we were trained to do and
what our job is to do is to build up the American
empire. To bring -- to create situations where as many
resources as possible flow into this country, to our
corporations, and our government, and in fact we’ve
been very successful. We’ve built the largest empire
in the history of the world. It's been done over the
last 50 years since World War II with very little
military might, actually. It's only in rare instances
like Iraq where the military comes in as a last
resort. This empire, unlike any other in the history
of the world, has been built primarily through
economic manipulation, through cheating, through
fraud, through seducing people into our way of life,
through the economic hit men. I was very much a part
of that.

AMY GOODMAN: How did you become one? Who did you work
for?

JOHN PERKINS: Well, I was initially recruited while I
was in business school back in the late sixties by the
National Security Agency, the nation's largest and
least understood spy organization; but ultimately I
worked for private corporations. The first real
economic hit man was back in the early 1950's, Kermit
Roosevelt, the grandson of Teddy, who overthrew of
government of Iran, a democratically elected
government, Mossadegh’s government who was Time's
magazine person of the year; and he was so successful
at doing this without any bloodshed -- well, there was
a little bloodshed, but no military intervention, just
spending millions of dollars and replaced Mossadegh
with the Shah of Iran. At that point, we understood
that this idea of economic hit man was an extremely
good one. We didn't have to worry about the threat of
war with Russia when we did it this way. The problem
with that was that Roosevelt was a C.I.A. agent. He
was a government employee. Had he been caught, we
would have been in a lot of trouble. It would have
been very embarrassing. So, at that point, the
decision was made to use organizations like the C.I.A.
and the N.S.A. to recruit potential economic hit men
like me and then send us to work for private
consulting companies, engineering firms, construction
companies, so that if we were caught, there would be
no connection with the government.

AMY GOODMAN: Okay. Explain the company you worked for.

JOHN PERKINS: Well, the company I worked for was a
company named Chas. T. Main in Boston, Massachusetts.
We were about 2,000 employees, and I became its chief
economist. I ended up having fifty people working for
me. But my real job was deal-making. It was giving
loans to other countries, huge loans, much bigger than
they could possibly repay. One of the conditions of
the loan–let's say a $1 billion to a country like
Indonesia or Ecuador–and this country would then have
to give ninety percent of that loan back to a U.S.
company, or U.S. companies, to build the
infrastructure–a Halliburton or a Bechtel. These were
big ones. Those companies would then go in and build
an electrical system or ports or highways, and these
would basically serve just a few of the very
wealthiest families in those countries. The poor
people in those countries would be stuck ultimately
with this amazing debt that they couldn’t possibly
repay. A country today like Ecuador owes over fifty
percent of its national budget just to pay down its
debt. And it really can’t do it. So, we literally have
them over a barrel. So, when we want more oil, we go
to Ecuador and say, “Look, you're not able to repay
your debts, therefore give our oil companies your
Amazon rain forest, which are filled with oil.” And
today we're going in and destroying Amazonian rain
forests, forcing Ecuador to give them to us because
they’ve accumulated all this debt. So we make this big
loan, most of it comes back to the United States, the
country is left with the debt plus lots of interest,
and they basically become our servants, our slaves.
It's an empire. There's no two ways about it. It’s a
huge empire. It's been extremely successful.

AMY GOODMAN: We're talking to John Perkins, author of
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man. You say because of
bribes and other reason you didn't write this book for
a long time. What do you mean? Who tried to bribe you,
or who -- what are the bribes you accepted?

JOHN PERKINS: Well, I accepted a half a million dollar
bribe in the nineties not to write the book.

AMY GOODMAN: From?

JOHN PERKINS: From a major construction engineering
company.

AMY GOODMAN: Which one?

JOHN PERKINS: Legally speaking, it wasn't --
Stoner-Webster. Legally speaking it wasn't a bribe, it
was -- I was being paid as a consultant. This is all
very legal. But I essentially did nothing. It was a
very understood, as I explained in Confessions of an
Economic Hit Man, that it was -- I was -- it was
understood when I accepted this money as a consultant
to them I wouldn't have to do much work, but I mustn't
write any books about the subject, which they were
aware that I was in the process of writing this book,
which at the time I called “Conscience of an Economic
Hit Man.” And I have to tell you, Amy, that, you know,
it’s an extraordinary story from the standpoint of --
It's almost James Bondish, truly, and I mean--

AMY GOODMAN: Well that's certainly how the book reads.

JOHN PERKINS: Yeah, and it was, you know? And when the
National Security Agency recruited me, they put me
through a day of lie detector tests. They found out
all my weaknesses and immediately seduced me. They
used the strongest drugs in our culture, sex, power
and money, to win me over. I come from a very old New
England family, Calvinist, steeped in amazingly strong
moral values. I think I, you know, I’m a good person
overall, and I think my story really shows how this
system and these powerful drugs of sex, money and
power can seduce people, because I certainly was
seduced. And if I hadn't lived this life as an
economic hit man, I think I’d have a hard time
believing that anybody does these things. And that's
why I wrote the book, because our country really needs
to understand, if people in this nation understood
what our foreign policy is really about, what foreign
aid is about, how our corporations work, where our tax
money goes, I know we will demand change.

AMY GOODMAN: We're talking to John Perkins. In your
book, you talk about how you helped to implement a
secret scheme that funneled billions of dollars of
Saudi Arabian petrol dollars back into the U.S.
economy, and that further cemented the intimate
relationship between the House of Saud and successive
U.S. administrations. Explain.

JOHN PERKINS: Yes, it was a fascinating time. I
remember well, you're probably too young to remember,
but I remember well in the early seventies how OPEC
exercised this power it had, and cut back on oil
supplies. We had cars lined up at gas stations. The
country was afraid that it was facing another
1929-type of crash–depression; and this was
unacceptable. So, they -- the Treasury Department
hired me and a few other economic hit men. We went to
Saudi Arabia. We --

AMY GOODMAN: You're actually called economic hit men
--e.h.m.’s?

JOHN PERKINS: Yeah, it was a tongue-in-cheek term that
we called ourselves. Officially, I was a chief
economist. We called ourselves e.h.m.'s. It was
tongue-in-cheek. It was like, nobody will believe us
if we say this, you know? And, so, we went to Saudi
Arabia in the early seventies. We knew Saudi Arabia
was the key to dropping our dependency, or to
controlling the situation. And we worked out this deal
whereby the Royal House of Saud agreed to send most of
their petro-dollars back to the United States and
invest them in U.S. government securities. The
Treasury Department would use the interest from these
securities to hire U.S. companies to build Saudi
Arabia–new cities, new infrastructure–which we’ve
done. And the House of Saud would agree to maintain
the price of oil within acceptable limits to us, which
they’ve done all of these years, and we would agree to
keep the House of Saud in power as long as they did
this, which we’ve done, which is one of the reasons we
went to war with Iraq in the first place. And in Iraq
we tried to implement the same policy that was so
successful in Saudi Arabia, but Saddam Hussein didn't
buy. When the economic hit men fail in this scenario,
the next step is what we call the jackals. Jackals are
C.I.A.-sanctioned people that come in and try to
foment a coup or revolution. If that doesn't work,
they perform assassinations. or try to. In the case of
Iraq, they weren't able to get through to Saddam
Hussein. He had -- His bodyguards were too good. He
had doubles. They couldn’t get through to him. So the
third line of defense, if the economic hit men and the
jackals fail, the next line of defense is our young
men and women, who are sent in to die and kill, which
is what we’ve obviously done in Iraq.

AMY GOODMAN: Can you explain how Torrijos died?

JOHN PERKINS: Omar Torrijos, the President of Panama.
Omar Torrijos had signed the Canal Treaty with Carter
much -- and, you know, it passed our congress by only
one vote. It was a highly contended issue. And
Torrijos then also went ahead and negotiated with the
Japanese to build a sea-level canal. The Japanese
wanted to finance and construct a sea-level canal in
Panama. Torrijos talked to them about this which very
much upset Bechtel Corporation, whose president was
George Schultz and senior council was Casper
Weinberger. When Carter was thrown out (and that’s an
interesting story–how that actually happened), when he
lost the election, and Reagan came in and Schultz came
in as Secretary of State from Bechtel, and Weinberger
came from Bechtel to be Secretary of Defense, they
were extremely angry at Torrijos -- tried to get him
to renegotiate the Canal Treaty and not to talk to the
Japanese. He adamantly refused. He was a very
principled man. He had his problem, but he was a very
principled man. He was an amazing man, Torrijos. And
so, he died in a fiery airplane crash, which was
connected to a tape recorder with explosives in it,
which -- I was there. I had been working with him. I
knew that we economic hit men had failed. I knew the
jackals were closing in on him, and the next thing,
his plane exploded with a tape recorder with a bomb in
it. There's no question in my mind that it was C.I.A.
sanctioned, and most -- many Latin American
investigators have come to the same conclusion. Of
course, we never heard about that in our country.

AMY GOODMAN: So, where -- when did your change your
heart happen?

JOHN PERKINS: I felt guilty throughout the whole time,
but I was seduced. The power of these drugs, sex,
power, and money, was extremely strong for me. And, of
course, I was doing things I was being patted on the
back for. I was chief economist. I was doing things
that Robert McNamara liked and so on.

AMY GOODMAN: How closely did you work with the World
Bank?

JOHN PERKINS: Very, very closely with the World Bank.
The World Bank provides most of the money that’s used
by economic hit men, it and the I.M.F. But when 9/11
struck, I had a change of heart. I knew the story had
to be told because what happened at 9/11 is a direct
result of what the economic hit men are doing. And the
only way that we're going to feel secure in this
country again and that we're going to feel good about
ourselves is if we use these systems we’ve put into
place to create positive change around the world. I
really believe we can do that. I believe the World
Bank and other institutions can be turned around and
do what they were originally intended to do, which is
help reconstruct devastated parts of the world. Help
-- genuinely help poor people. There are twenty-four
thousand people starving to death every day. We can
change that.

AMY GOODMAN: John Perkins, I want to thank you very
much for being with us. John Perkins' book is called,
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man.
http://www.pithrecords.com/articles/showarticle.php?articlenumber=958

Bacalah artikel tentang Islam di:
http://www.nizami.org