Mike Morrow wrote:

Brian Mury wrote:

I would also like to see a comparison between the horizontal and
vertical antennas. I don't think the horizontal antenna would
necessarily beat the vertical - it depends on a few variables, a couple
big ones that come to mind being the height of the dipole and the
vertical's counterpoise.

Hi Brian,

HF verticals perform poorly without, as you mention above, a very good
counterpoise or ground plane.  In temporary portable installations, that is
generally very difficult to obtain.  But for a dipole, it's a non-issue
altogether.

I've never been able to get any vertical antenna (even a very expensive
Australian-made dummy load) to perform within several s-units of a half-wave
dipole that was up only about ten feet in side-by-side tests at a *temporary*
site.
Mike,

The nice thing about veritcals for backpacking is if you cannot find trees they still work. Additionally you can get away with almost no feed line if weight is a concern. As for the counterpoise situation, I find stringing wires on the groung to be much simpler than stringing them up in trees. I carry up to four 32' sections with me that form a counterpoise against the veritcal element and often I can elevate the groundplane for free (nearby scrub brush). Still not a "silver plated" back yard but it seems to suffice. Now the real advantage of all that wire is if I want a dipole, and can locate tree's, all I need do is add a feedpoint to the center and I have it. Personally, if I have the trees available I usually put up a full wave loop as it takes almost no extra effort and works very well.

My best "vertical" experince involves a week of surfing on a 1 acre island in the S. Pacific. A 20' vertical over a sandy atoll with 4 wire counterpoise, 64' long. In a few days I had worked 40 countries on every continent . Of course this probably represents the best counterpoise one can achieve.

another Brian - n6iz