> I recently took a trip and did not take my KX1 because I was concerned about
> potential problems at the airports.  I would like to hear about the
> experiences of others who have traveled by plane with ham equipment.
> Hoping that it won't be ''confiscated'' in some european airport
> I will pass trough.

Over the years, before and after 911 I've travelled with lots and lots
of equipment (that included 2 pieces w/ 100 Lbs each, fully packed
with electronics, and clothes only as padding to the equipment,
on a route Amsterdam, USA, Japan, and vice versa..)

I never had a problem, but follow these basic rules which are really
common sense:
- sharp objects should be checked in
  (so should things which can be construed as such).
  Image you want to cut something, stab something or club something,
  using your amateur radio gear. If you can find a way to do that,
  chances are that a security guy thinks the same, in that case
  check it in!)
- gear with battaries should preferrably be in the hand luggage,
  and secured against accidental power-on (so _disconnect_ and _isolate_)
  that battary. In general, think what a fire caused by short circuit
  can cause and isolate and pack properly.
- Note that some people think that lead-acid cells are not allowed
  (K2_BAT!) even though some types are approved.
  As I can see the problem with acid gell loose in your luggage,
  I always removed those.
- I always announce to the security guys that "this is a lot of
  electronics" and "you probably want to inspect this".
  They seldom do.
  By doing this, you set their expectation level, and that's good
  because you really don't want to surprize security folk.
  If they do inspect, just cooperate and explain.
- Think what a security guard might see in something,
  and pack accordingly.
  (if it can be used for stabbing, cutting, clubbing, check it!)

In general, I have found USA airports the most paranoid and underterministic,
while most European airports are thorough but have clear policies
and can be reasoned with.

Nobody is "interested" in "confiscating" your equipment as it's not
worth anything: it doesn't look like a camcorder (and don't pack it
in a camcorder bag!). People are interested in you not being able
to pull stupid stunts mid-air, or have your equipment pull
a stupid stunt on you by inadvertently switching on, catching fire
or anything.

Also, checking stuff in in foreign airports is not a big deal.
I've lost my luggage more often on flights to the USA, than
flights to developing countries in Africa.
(but USA airports, understandably, have better procedures
to file claims etc, so label your stuff over and over.)

Can we go back to the scheduled discussions on Hakko tools?

73,
Geert Jan PE1HZG