I got a KPA100 kit in May 2003 as a birthday gift from
my wife.  For a whole bunch of silly reasons, I didn't
get around to building it for over a year. The good
news about the delay is I was able to get the updates
to the kit so that it went together with no need for
changes.

It's been running now for a month, and I have to say,
once again, the engineering that went into this
product is beyond exceptional.  I've been working
professionally in the communications electronics field
for over 22 years, and I am not given to complementing
electronic-engineering efforts unless warranted.

It's warranted.

The amp deck quality is every bit the equal of the
radio underneath it, which is saying something.  I am
exceptionally pleased with the addition, which
represents an excellent value.  Bravo to the
designers.

Tip to builders:  I normally do not delay building
kits I get!  And, I won't again - neither should you.
Here's why:  I made a conscious assembly modification
to my KPA100.  I inverted the orientation of the DC
connector shrouds to be contrary to specs, on purpose.

The reason for the mod was that I have many, many
similar connectors on gel-cells, and nearly all of
them are unfused (and there's a good reason for that,
too, a topic for another day).

By 'flipping' the K2/KPA100 DC cord connector mating
configuration, I effectively made the now-custom
connecting cable -- with its in-line fuses -- a part
of the radio.  The cable works only with the K2.  The
'flip' prevents me from plugging in an unfused power
source, on purpose.  I know myself too well!

What's the catch?

Because I waited so long to finish the build, and
because I failed to document the 'modification' ... I
forgot what I had done.  Not so many years ago, this
would not have been a problem.  No WAY would I have
forgotten such an important thing, equal in my mind to
remembering my anniversary!  Yet I did forget,
completely.  The connectors ... not the anniversary.

The anniversary is no problem; as long as I keep the
batteries charged in my PDA, it happens every year.

The KPA100, however, is a once-in-a-lifetime event.