Forest,

You may want to look at my website article www.qsl.net/w3fpr dealing with
adding a CW PTT to the K2.  The added PTT input will work both in CW and SSB
mode and will mute the receiver, but no RF will be produced - this will be
positively true in CW unless one also activates the paddle lines.

It sounds like you already have some sort of external switching in place
which could provide the PTT input signal (contact closure or equivalent).

The only problem that I can forsee is in SSB mode because the carrier
balance adjustment is not perfect and there will be a bit of RF output even
with no audio applied - and that may not even be a problem, but if it is, I
guess one could break the carrier oscillator path permanently if the K2 was
never to be used as a SSB transmitter.   An alternative would be to disable
the carrier oscillator injection path elecrtonically - that could be done on
the SSB option board.

73,
Don W3FPR