I would approach it in the same way as mounting a large TV antenna on a
chimney stack, though the method used may vary from country to country how to
achieve this.

In the UK, traditionally we use a galvanised stranded steel band (lashing
wire) that passes around the chimney stack which is attached to an antenna
mounting bracket with "J" bolts to terminate the band and adjust for  tension.
Galvanised steel or aluminium corner plates are placed under the wire  band at
the other three corners of the chimney stack to spread the load on the  corner.
A mast of the necessary length and diameter to mount the antenna is  attached
to the mounted chimney bracket with two "U" bolts. With a vertical HF  antenna
a heavy duty chimney bracket is called for, or two separate brackets  with
separate chimney bands as we used in the early days of TV with large TV
antenna
installations. The galvanised fitting are fairly robust though they  can be
replaced with stainless steel stranded wire and "J" bolts if local  corrosion
was to be a problem. I use galvanised fittings and paint all potential  areas
of corrosion with an automobile body underseal/internal panel rust  inhibitor.
In the UK this is product marketed by Finnegan (Hunting Lubricants)  called
WAXOYL. This product excludes moisture and dries with a surface skin  which
also
discourages the gathering of moisture. Our Volvo station wagon  manufactured
in Sweden uses a similar brown coloured product inside it's  automobile door
panels. Antenna fittings painted in this way are still  removable 20 years
later whilst a normal fitting would be rusted solid after  only a few years in
some locations. The moral is if it could rust paint it  which I also do with
any
fittings on the antenna itself that could  rust living in a rather wet part of
the UK.

In the late 1960's I had an antenna similar to the HyGain 12AVQ  mounted with
two "U" bolts on a 1 1/2" (38mm) stub mast in this way with radials  attached
to the ground connection on the base of the antenna. If a longer mast  is
used the radials could be arranged as guy wires for added strength of the
installation. The methods used depend on the exposure to wind and the elements
at
the chosen location. The same method I now use with a moderate  sized VHF/UHF
collinear antenna that occupies the prime position on one of  my chimney
stacks. If an external TV antenna were to used and space was  restricted it
would be
possible to mount a TV antenna under the HF antenna on  the mounting mast. In
my case I do not have this problem living in an old  house with three
chimneys stacks to cope with the old situation pre central  heating of a fire
place
in every room.

Served my early work experience in the late 1950's in the Radio  and TV trade
standing on roofs/chimney stacks to install TV antennas.

Bob, G3VVT
K2 #4168