A simple ground stake or single wire counterpoise can be expected to produce
antenna efficiencies of over 90% when used with an end fed *half wave* wire.

The ground resistance is in series with the radiation resistance. A half
wave shows several thousands of ohms at the end while even a crummy ground
rod usually will show a few hundred ohms. So almost all the RF is dissipated
in the radiation resistance of the antenna and only a small percentage is
dissipated in the ground connection resistance.

Where that scenario breaks down  is when the antenna is shorter. At 1/4
wavelength it has a radiation resistance of about 35 ohms. Now more than 90%
of the RF is lost in a 300+ ohm ground connection and less than 10% is
radiated. At lengths less than 1/4 wavelength the situation worsens. It's
not uncommon for a short whip and single wire ground counterpoise to have an
efficiency of only 1 or 2 percent.

The problem with 1/2 wave wires is that most antenna tuners, including the
various tuners offered by Elecraft, can't match to them. The high impedance
that makes them efficient is too high for the ATU to handle. So when using
most ATU's a compromise length is needed that is as close to 1/2 wavelength,
or a multiple of 1/2 wavelength, but still within range of the ATU. The
efficiency will still be good.

Ron AC7AC