Don, I have both Sony earbuds and The Plug by Koss. The Sony’s may have slightly higher mfg. reported sensitivity, but the The Plug has a sound channel that goes deeper into the ear. The Plug has silicone buds that seal out ambient noise. The Sony’s don’t seal. There used to be a website that offered plug mods on The Plug, butmy link is dead. Koss has improved the silicone plugs from earlier editions and each set now comes with several different styles of plugs. I find myself using the Koss more than the Sony. I have read that some ear shapes don’t easily accommodate the silicone plugs, however.
Gil/NN4CW  K2 3104; KX1 53.