I think we're on the same page, Mike. I just want to make sure builders know there are other alternatives before they jump into a different AF amp IC. Lord knows I've designed LM386's into a lot of rigs (the NorCal 40A, Sierra, SST, K1, and KX1, to name just those which made it out of the lab). I tame the noise by putting a resistor/capacitor network in series between pins 5 and 8. But ideally the gain and NF ahead of the amp would be adequate so that no heroics are required here.

Regarding "how loud is loud," the place where you need the audio levels that the '380 is capable of is in mobile or high-noise outdoor situations--such as Field Day with a generator nearby. Or in my rickety VW van at 60 MPH ;)

73,
Wayne