Since building the 100 watt add on, I have been venturing into a bit of SSB.
The mic jack is wired for Kenwood and the mic I'm using is a hand mic that
came with the TS 570, a dynamic with 600 ohm impedance.

I don't think the ALC (Talc) action is working properly.   With the mic gain
set at 3 and the compression ratio at 4-1 the ALC lights up 3 bars.   These
settings are extreme and the on the air audio is "Breathy" with lots of
background noise.   Not good.    But, even at these extreme settings,
power-output seems low and restrained.

I've tried every possible combination of mic gain/compression.  On the low
end, mic at 1 and compression off, there is no indication of ALC on the bar
and the power indication is very low.  Only with the power set to 0.01 does
the ALC respond at a sensitivity that seems appropriate with the mic set at
1 and compression off.

I'd like to hear from others what their experience is with various mics and
mic settings, troubles and remedies, etc.
Thanks,
Bill  -  W7WEL