Chuck,

The AGC Threshold setting of 3.8 volts is the normal recommended starting value. If you are measuring 3.78 volts, thatt is likely OK, but just as a quick sanity check, do check the output of the 8 volt regulator U4 on the control board. If it is less than 8 volts, that may be the reason you cannot get the AGC Threshold up to the 3.8 volt level - check the soldering on the 8A line (refer to the schematic to see the points connected).

In any case, you can modify the AGC Threshold after you have the K2 up and running to achieve maximum receiver sensitivity - simply switch between AGC on and AGC off on a quiet band - the AGC Threshold should be set so there is no reduction in receiver gain with AGC on. I usually find that the final AGC Threshold voltage is somewhere between 3.6 and 3.8 volts.

You have received several other responses about the IF alignment question - I can add nothing more.

In answer to your 3rd question about the S-Meter calibration - Yes, one can use the Elecraft XG1 (or any other 50 uV signal) to set the S-Meter at S-9. The easy way to do that is just what is mentioned in the manual - change S HI so the S-meter reads the way you want it to, but if you also insist on full S-meter deflection with a VERY strong signal, things get a bit more complex. The settings of S-Lo, S-Hi, and the AGC Threshold all interact and can be set to provide whatever S-meter action is pleasing to you - so if you are adventure minded, I encourage you to experiment with it until you have the settings you desire - If you are not so adventuresome and just 'want it to work', do what the manual tells you to do - that will result in a perfectly adequate S-meter response.

73,
Don W3FPR