What's the maximum distance from paddle to receiver with this unit? I'd want something that would work from across the room (my computers are *not* right next to the ham gear) and with no limitation on the way the paddle could be oriented. I might even want to use it while walking from one place to another in the shack, with a wrist-mounted paddle.

A 900-MHz ASK (amplitude-shift-keyed) transceiver chip might be a better way to do this, or of course blue-tooth. There are also very inexpensive garage-door opener receiver/transmitter boards available. Any such solution would require testing in an HF environment, although QRP HF levels would probably not be an issue.

I don't quite see the need for a unit that simply replaces the "cumbersome" wire from paddle to rig.

73,
Wayne
N6KR