> 100 wpm, elements are only 12 ms long - barely 2 ms at full
> output. At that speed, I'd begin to wonder about the group
> delay response of the remote receiver's filters....

I once asked about this on the Ten Tec reflector during a discussion of high
speed CW, but some of the high-speed guys there assured me that they routinely
copied 100 wpm without apparently being bothered by filter effects. I had a
hard time believing this. They must use pretty wide filters to avoid the
ringing or group delay effects that you mention, Bill. But they really didn't
tell me for sure.

> Here's my question - what person can copy 100 wpm? Only a handful of
> people in the world can copy 60 wpm!

You and I think alike... this was my exact next question to the guys. But
again, they just sort of shrugged me off and never indicated that they thought
they were pushing any limit of human ability. In fact, one guy told me that
there is an entire group of folks who gets together on 40 meters at 100+ wpm!
Around 7032 if I remember correctly. I've never heard them.

At this speed Ted McElroy's world record, set back in the 1930s, should be
threatened, but I don't know what is up with that. I believe-- though I am not
sure-- that actually writing down (or typing) what you copy is really difficult
at that speed. In other words, it is actually easier to simply copy in the
head. McElroy's greatest achievement was evidently being able to produce a hard
copy of what he heard.

Regards,

Al  W6LX