Craig,

The kit you will receive will be totally up to date, so you need not add any
mods to bring it up to level.  OTOH, if you have special needs or desires to
make the K2 behave in a manner slightly different than normal, there are a
number of mods that you can add to do just that - but wait until you have a
good running 'stock' K2 before making such changes.

You should just follow the instructions in the manual - there are sections
in the K2 manual telling you what, how and when to add the Front Panel and
RF board components for the KSB2 option.  You will find the Elecraft manuals
well written and easy to follow (unlike many other kits - including a TenTec
'beginner's' regen receiver kit that I recently assembled with my grandson).

As far as a vise goes, your Panavise will likely suffice.  I really don't
like those 'holder thingys' for most boards because it makes flipping the
board over for soldering, etc. more cumbersome - I simply work with the
board loose on the workbench top which allows me to position the board
quickly whichever way I need at the moment - but each to his own, that is
just the way I do it.

73,
Don W3FPR