Our KXPD1 paddle for the KX1 would work very well with the K2 if it could be directly attached to one of the vertical arms of the K2's tilt stand. This would eliminate the need for a paddle with a heavy base during lightweight portable operation.

What we'd need is a very stable bracket that grips the K2's tilt stand and acts as a physical and electrical "dock" for the KXPD1. It should meet the following criteria (this sounds harder than it really is):

1. The KXPD1's paddle arms must be parallel to the operating surface when the paddle's front mounting surface is aligned with the K2's front panel; this means the dock will have to grip the tilt stand at some odd vertical angle with respect to the face-plate of the KXPD1

2. Should be as small and light as possible consistent with good mechanical rigidity

3. Must be usable on either arm of the tilt stand

4. Has to allow the KXPD1 to be attached in either of its two orientations (for left/right-handed use)

5. Can't scratch the tilt-stand's finish; this implies plastic or rubber "jaws" in the clamp (if rubber, it should be no thicker than necessary and have a durometer of at least 90 to prevent movement during keying)

6. One or more thumb screws (or some other means) should be used to allow the dock to be secured tightly to the stand

7. Must have a reliable cable for connection to the K2's key jack, with a strain relief at the paddle end (I recommend Belden model 1508A shielded 2-conductor + ground cable, or equivalent); an alternative would be to fit the dock with a second female 3.5 mm jack rather than a pigtail, and supply a male-to-male cable with it

8. Should be black anodized or have plain aluminum finish (like the paddle itself)

9. Can't look too klunky! (for lack of a better term)

I'd love to take a crack at such a design myself, but probably won't get a chance this year. Anyone else interested in giving it a try?

Ideally, we'd like to see the drawing(s) in .DXF file format, compatible with CNC fabrication.

Whoever submits the best *working* prototype (with a complete drawing, and satisfying the criteria above) will most definitely be rewarded for their efforts.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---