On Mar 10, 2005, at 9:17 AM, Lee Buller wrote:

I am not sure that this has been discussed before on the reflector, but will the KAT100 tune a longwire?

Yes. You can connect it directly to the ATU using a binding-post adapter, or just wire up a PL-259's center pin to an alligator clip or to the wire itself. Counterpoise goes to the ground lug -- use a very high-quality ground to maximize transmit efficiency. (House electrical ground is marginal from both all angles -- noise, efficiency, and safety.)

A better alternative than direct feed is to use balanced feedline (and a low-loss 4:1 balun such as our BL1 at the tuner) to get the radiating part of the antenna *out* of the shack and away from computers, kids, pets, TVs, portable phones, etc. If you use a random wire without feedline, you'll likely have to stick with QRP power levels to avoid RFI.

73,
Wayne
N6KR