On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 06:36:21PM -0000, ANNE NORMAN wrote:
> From:  Pete Norman,  g0pks.
>
> I've come across some very neat, physically small, switch mode power
> supplies, rated at 23A.  Is the general consensus that these are A
> Good Thing or To Be Avoided At All Costs?
>
> I'll be needing to equip myself with something soon (I hope) and any
> advice would be helpful.  Regards to all.  Pete.

There are supplies with very high switching noise and supplies with
acceptably low noise.  Several were tested by the ARRL a number of years
ago and results were published in two issues of QST.  If you are a
member, the articles are available on the ARRL web site.

QEX had an article recently about converting ATX power supplies from
computers for ham use.

I'd advise staying away from unknown supplies, however.

Bob, N7XY