Ian,

It is difficult to say where the problem might be when all I really know is
'it is broken'.

The best place to start is to determine what does work.  Do you have
voltages anywhere (check input and output of the regulators on the control
board)?  Are the voltage readings good (compare with the chart in the back
of the K2 manual).  If the menu works, enter CAL FCTR and use the counter
probe to see if you have VFO and BFO oscillators running?  Is their
frequency correct?  Continue with this process until you can narrow the
field of potential places to look for the failure.

73,
Don W3FPR