Many thanks for the answer.
I thought that it tuned for max current...
As I already have a current indicator, I will try my home-made QRO matchbox in series with the counterpoise lead, then measure inductance with my Autek RF-analyst, to copy it into a small device, maybe biband (160/80) if I manage to do it. Ok for my QTH, we have many sorts of both : I prefer those made from crude milk (FDA critical...), AND you forgot the third element : beverages (not the antennas).
72,

Ron wrote :
Excellent idea, IF the T1 actually tuned for maximum current. Unfortunately,
it does not. It uses a bridge circuit to provide a 50-ohm non-reactive load
to the transmitter. While that might be better than a short, untuned
counterpoise, it is far from ideal.

What I have done in your situation is to use a simple coil. A short
counterpoise will be capacitive, so what you need is an inductance to bring
it to resonance. If you are using a barefoot K2, a small inductor tapped
every turn should be FB. I once made one wound on a cardboard tube that once
held a roll of paper towels. What Ten Tec does is add a variable cap in
series with the coil to allow for small adjustments in between the taps, and
to provide a way to tune out inductive reactance in a counterpoise when it
is electrically longer than 1/4 wave.

You need a current indicator. That's easy. A small flashlight bulb in series
with the counterpoise. Short it out after finding the tap with the greatest
current.

Your QTH makes me hungry for some French Bread and a wedge of Brie.

Ron AC7AC