> The problem is that the receiver became very quiet. I
> could still hear the strongest signals if I turn the
> AF Gain way up, and instead of S9 on the meter,
> they're way down to S1. The KSB2 manual specifically
> states (page 15, final step of "initial test") this
> should not happen, and if it does, to go to the troubleshooting
> section.

Andrew: Don's suggestions are right on track. I have one to add, assuming
this is a new build. Check for d-c continuity from each pin of each crystal
to ground. It should be an open circuit for d-c. If not then most likely you
used enough solder to form a small fillet around the pad. On the crystal
side of the pad, the fillet easily shorts the signal path to the crystal
case and so to ground.

If so, then remove the crystal involved, clean off the solder, the carefully
replace it, using a minimum of solder. (Note that you have jumpers across a
couple of capacitor locations, so a short there will require that you open
the jumper to see which crystal is involved).

Ron AC7AC