I built a couple of Elecraft transverters which use a mix of SMD and conventional parts. They came with the SMD components soldered in. For higher frequencies, some parts like chip capacitors are in fact better because they has less stray/component inductance.

Yes, SMD are daunting but they can be done at home. There are plenty of advantages:
- newer ics, and other devices, better designs
- much much smaller finished products, a real plus for portable QRP gear

The other are ways of mitigating the problems with size:
1. Throw in a few extra capacitors/resistors. This will only increase the cost by a buck or two and take the anxiety away.
2.  Solder in the really fine pitch parts.
3. Change/reeducate the homebrewers to install parts by variety/type/value rather than component number.

I have built a number of SMD / part SMD based projects (dsp10, iq-vfo, AA908) and actually find installing some parts, like 1206 resistors easier and faster with SMD rather than the leaded parts.

Raj

--
Rajiv Dewan, N2RD
[EMAIL PROTECTED]