Yes' Sir'ee....!

You read that correctly...! As of today 23rd April 2005... "... Elecraft K2 S/n 01432..".... LIVES..!!

Bhoy's... ! You CANT...even begin to know how I feel today...! This, for me, has been only the 3rd most happiest times in my entire life..! The 1st...passing my driving test in 1983, ...first time around....with a "hand controlled" car.... The 2nd.... Passing my "Ham Ticket"...after 18 months.... 12 HOURS A DAY...constant studying of the "Manual"...and all other literature involved.. .....
and the 3rd... " The Birth Of My Elecraft K2 S/n 01432..."...!

Oh..! Yes...! ..... as the man himself.... Mr Elvis Aron Presley ...sang about many, many a time in my room at home... "....I Got My Mojo Working..." .... And BOY IT FEELS GOOD..!! Now I KNOW...what all the talk has been about on the reflector, HF Bands, magazines....etc for the last 5 years of my life...

What a truly "Monumentous" occassion happened here today...! Some of you guy's will remember earlier in the week, where I posted to the reflector... that there had indeed been a "hiccup" in the construction of my "Baby"... ... with the "Alignment & Test Past II" section of the manual, and I was admittedly strugglin' with the "way of the manual", shall we say, ..not knowing wether I was actually doing the correct proceedure for alignment on the 40M Band...(in and around Page 50)...

Well... Once Again... my dear friend, "mentor"...and...close friend John Ross GM1BSG...has again (...keep readin' John..!) "Saved The Day"... From the outset of the beginning of the construction of "K2 S/n 01432" (...yeah..I know..its layen in a cupboard toooo... long..!)... John has been an absolutley monumentally oustanding "rock" for me throughout all of this... the man is a pure genius...a fantastic friend, shoulder to cry on.... the whole shootin' match... When others all around me, constantly said, "..you'll never do that Andy...your not good enough...".... John... helped me "rise above it all"...with his kind words, determination, and sheer bloody-mindedness,... telling me that he "Knew...! that I could do it.." ...I thought he was lying or just sayin that to help me along,...but today, it all fell into place..and now I beleive him...Without HIM...I CAN say, that I would still be "scratching my head" on this one, with the only thing to do "backtrack" through the manual...which we did to a certain extent, but nothing like I would have needed to do on my own if he were'nt here..

Today, we connected up some "Serious" test equipment, I'll leave John to explain the finer points of that.... and quickly found the "problem"...

What Was I Hear Y'all Say...??   In a word....

ME..!!!!.........

Dumb-%^&*...! here had "forgotten" in my wisdom, to include a couple of very important componants during the last few pages before puttin her together for the "Big Smoke Test"...! R39 and another componant...on the back left-hand-side of the "RF Board"...which of course, allowed me to "tune" the various filters, even for 40m...but was stopping the rig from receiving ...ANYTHING !! on 40m... a quick read of the schematic (by John..!) and a scan of the board, brought this to our attention.... Where I "..hastily made a quick retreat to the kitchen...! " ...and I'm NOT joking...!! How "small" once again did I feel for the 2nd time this week.?? Another "small" problem that I seemed to have had, was with some "switching" of the 40m filter,....this turned out to be Toroid "T5" or "T6" which I had "orientated" in the wrong direction..! making it act, kinda like a "choke" or "attenuator" (or so john explained..!) this was b.a.d. ... as you can imagine, attenuating, so to speak the signals on 40m...

Must have been one of those moments of madness, ...where I had visited other rooms in the house for a moment and forgotten on returning where I was at...or perhaps what I was "partaking in" at the time...

I've learned my lesson for sure...

But it did "raise a few eyebrows..... and ...temperatures..! " I can tell you, when John found out what had happened.... infact,..he has made sure that I NEVER apply for a job at his satellite business, where they undertake the fabrication of satalite receivers, LMB's etc etc...EVER..!! (...aye John..?)

A quick change around of the toroid, a solder of the 2 componants that I had ommited to install... BANG..! There they were....signals 5-5, 5-7, 5-9 ...all on 40m CW..!!

Fanfare Plays In The Background...! Oh..! Joyess Moment...! ...and nearly tears of happiness all around....

SO..! Glad to say that K2 S/n 01432.... is now receiving stations on 40m CW...Boy Its Good..!.. Still got a couple of problems to sort out,... Like WHY..the S-Meter is still sitting at S3 of constant... when there is nothing to be heard on the band...or any stations on a particular frequency.... Suppose I'll come across why later in the manual... perhaps a "tweak" still to be done...?? Also "not sure"..why I can't resolve LSB on 40m too good... certainly not clear enough to make any sense of..? Again...I guess I will find the answer later on... just thought I'd be able to hear as usual at this stage on LSB...

For all you guy's...who "were" following my "Mission" of the construciton of the radio on my website... I have to apologise most sincerley, as I have tended to neglect that part of the progress report latley..this is due to many thing, ...the house refurbishment (which still is'nt finished..!) ..and also..the fact that I have been concentrating on gettin her up n running so much here in the shack, that time has been against me for updating my website... I guess that y'all having the various reports on the reflector has kinda kept you up-to-date anyway... but I will try and post a few things on the website when I can...

What a tremendous day for sure... y'all know what I mean, when I say, what the "feeling" is like, when you turn on your radio and hear stations for the first time...!? Theres not a word can describe it... nothing like it... is there..?

Thanks also must go out to all the folks who over the past year or so, have answered the sometimes silly, mundane, and obvious "pleas" for help from myself here on the reflector also... Don Wilhelm... is another man, who without his gentle, calm guidance, I would have been lost on several occassions during construction.....a quick e-mail to him,....within minutes... problem(s) solved..! I've just never had people in my life like John, Don, and the rest of you guys before..... this too good..

Sorry for the bandwidth guys...I hope that you all can manage to "feel" what I am feeling at this very moment, I KNOW,..that this will go on for a long time to come.....and it will take me a few days to "come back down to earth".... But Hey..! In the meantime... I'm sure gonna enjoy my "High"..!

THANKS EVER SO MUCH WAYNE and ERIC....All The Folks At Elecraft...for giving me the chance to realise my boyhood dream since the age of 12 years old, ..of putting together my own "Fully Loaded All Mode Superhet HF Transceiver".....you guys have lifted "The Joys Of QRP"..beyond a level of anyones expectations,...its a Joy, a Pleasure..and above all...an Honour to own and operate one of the, ...if not "the" most outstanding QRP HF Transceivers ever to have been introduced to the amateur radio fraternity.... if not The World..

Thanks For The Bandwidth Guys...apologies that it has been such a long one... Now back to construction of the rest of K2 S/n 01432.... wish me luck..!

Now..! to find space here in the shack for that new 800 watt Elecraft "cloud warmer"...! My eyes are peaeed...my ears listenin...

Andy [EMAIL PROTECTED] "...I Just See It.!.." John A. Ross (RSD Communications circa 2004)
A.R.S.
GM0NWI QRP "..It is vain to do with more.... "A Dis-Orientated Kiwi... "K2 S/n 01432 Soon To Be On-Air" what can be done with less.. In The Northern Hemisphere..."

GQRP No.9576
QRP-L No.2165
ARCI No.10561
Central Florida DX Association (CFDXA)