I'm going to disagree with the popular but misplaced notion that when
lightning hits nothing can be done to prevent damage other than a complete
disconnect.

The real problem is almost always that people pepper the station with
protection devices but use poor wiring layouts or poor entrance schemes. 99%
of the protection is in  the layout and bonding, not in the protection
devices we throw into the system.

I'm not saying you should not use protection devices, just that they are not
anywhere near the solution.

We have got to start thinking in terms of ground loops or common mode paths
through the gear, and not depending on devices that let 700 volts in or out
to protect solid state devices. It's the poor lead routing and ground
bonding that really kills our gear. Especially when the power mains ground
and the shack ground have any significant impedance between them.

73 Tom