Ron,

I share the same challenges with PSK and RTTY decoding.  My baseline is to
operate my K3 while RV camping and to explore as much as I can without using
a computer.  I don't have full answers and folks like Lyle have been most
helpful.  I was last on HF 25 years ago so my K3, SN 4335, is pretty new.  I
think my challenge has been to  better identify some aids to help in the
tuning.  See http://www.netdave.com/wa0ttn/Tuning.asp but note he
demonstrates some concepts using a PC and I still want to tackle while
camping.  As a work in progress, here are some things I've noticed and some
questions for the group.

WA0TTN article above mentions to "keep the PSK31 signal in the center of the
most sensitive audio region of your receiver."  I have 8-pole 2.8 and 8-pole
400 Hz filters but still uncertain where the most sensitive audio region of
the K3 is.

The tactics I'm using right now is that I set one VFO on data mode and the
other VFO mode on CW, using 440 Hz (the A above C on the musical scale--the
'perfect pitch' A.  It isn't clear to me yet, despite some poking around on
the net what two frequencies are used for PSK signaling.  I'm assuming that
if I knew the 2 freqs then I could pick a center freq and use some PITCH
setting in CW mode to get me close?  For example, one of the PSK macros
submitted by Matt, W6NIA, in the K3 Utility Command Tester Help file shifts
the IF center freq to 1100 Hz and changes filter bandwidth to 1800 Hz.  But
there isn't explanation of why those numbers were chosen and I haven't tried
IF shifting before.  In other words, when I can't get a quick decode using
the recommended techniques, what can I do in CW mode to 'get me in the
ballpark."

I do notice that I can decode much weaker PSK signals than RTTY signals --
and that is still a challenge for me (have some disabilities).

Within the last day or two, it occurred to me that I should tune into the
W1AW data transmissions 14.095 at 3PM and 6PM Pacific time.  Then I assume
that once I get a solid decode, I could switch into CW or some other mode to
compare what the audio should sound like.  It would be neat to pick a
certain CW pitch freq then SPOT it in CW mode to get me closer.  SPOT in PSK
mode sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, but without a computer I can't
analyze why it works or why it doesn't work.  I haven't run into too much
QRM as an issue and SPOT PSK mode certainly works pretty good on strong
signals.  SPOT CW mode on actual CW signals pretty much is nearly 100% in
matching whatever PITCH tone I select.  But, as the more experienced folks
say, the SPOT PSK technique doesn't get a PSK decode with the same
reliability as SPOT CW when actually doing CW QSOs.

I'll be following this thread most carefully.

Dennis KB7ST Snohomish WA