hi Joe,

I am a bit late for a reply, but anyway.
The way the codec is implemented is (as far I understand it) different and
more straitforward. There is no "soundcard" in the radio, but the data
stream is directly derived from the IF-DSP.
My friend Gert, OE3ZK described it as follows:

Es wird kein eigener (billig) SoundChip eingesetzt. Die USB Audio CODEC
Aufbereitung erfolgt direkt aus der ZF-DSP der Transceiver. Abgesehen von
den Quarzungenauigkeiten der billig Sound-Chips wird  DSP nicht
kaskadiert, das ist der wesentliche Qualitätsunterschied.

I translate:
There is no (cheap) Soundchip in the radio. The USB Audio Codec is
directly created out of the IF-DSP of the transceiver. There are no
inaccuracies of the cheap soundchip quartz and there is no cascading of
DSP's, that is a significant difference in quality.

I have a block diagram of the IC-7200 on my website, you can see it here:
http://oe9fwv.shacknet.nu/oe9fwv/bilder/IC-7200%20USB.jpg

This is an interesting approach in my opinion and has two major
advantages. Better quality of the signal for soundcard modes independent
from external soundcards, no additional cables and devices for mobile use.
A radio and the computer.
Thats all. Remote control included.

73! de Werner OE9FWV

--
There is so much sand in Northern Africa, that if we spread it out, it
would completely cover the Sahara Desert.

Email powered by Pegasus Mail free at <http://www.pmail.com>
Homepage: <http://www.qsl.net/oe9fwv/>
Fone +43 5522 75013
Fax +43 5522 22505