I can't think of a reason why you can't just take the side panel off, but it
might make a difference if you have a KRX3 or a KXV144 inside, which I
don't.

Yours is the first post I can recall reporting this. If you are concerned
about it happening again you could try putting a blob of paint on the thread
of the bolt before retightening it, or even some special stuff made for
precisely that purpoise (over here it is called Loctite.)

Jon Zaimes AA1K wrote:

>   Took my K3 along on vacation and this morning when I went to set it up
> again at home the handle was loose on one end -- one of the nuts had
> fallen off the bolt inside the case. So now the nut and washer are
> floating around inside the case.
>
> Anyone know if I can just take the side panel off to fix this or do I
> need to take the top off first?
>
> And if this loosening up is common (In the past year since building this
> I've only used the handle maybe twice) is there a permanent fix, such as
> a locking nut?

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com