On 9/27/2010 4:30 PM, Bill Myers wrote:

> I'm trying to remember why I wanted a FSK-capable radio for RTTY.  Before
> (the K3), I have used sound-card programs (MMTTY, WriteLog) - now I have the
> option.  As I am a little short on serial ports, I initially set up the K3
> using AFSK.  Why should I switch?

If I think of a reason Bill, I'll let you know.  I managed 625 Q's in a
sort of sporadic effort in the CQ WW RTTY this last weekend with N1MM,
MMTTY, my laptop w/sound card, and two Radio Shack audio cables between
Line[s] In and Line[s] Out on the laptop and K3.  My AFSK A pitch is at
915 [I can hear that, I can't hear much higher than that, YMMV] which is
also what I set in MMTTY, and that was the end of the set-up other than
the levels which weren't at all hard.  Be sure to turn off all the
Windoze noises on your computer.

I haven't really mastered dual-PB yet, or maybe I have and it's not a
lot different than non-dual-PB.  I do know that MMTTY was decoding
stations [and I was working them] that I really couldn't hear, I could
just see their faint trace on the WF.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2010 Cal QSO Party 2-3 Oct 2010
- www.cqp.org