On Oct 27, 2010, at 1:06 PM, Paul Christensen wrote:

> And the reason why some of us have been stating that roofing filters and
> brick-wall DSP filters, as  good as they are for their intended purpose,
> cannot equate to the results obtained by the APF.

Indeed.

If you squint a little at the Yaesu APF filter shapes, the "skirts" fall off
with a more or less 1/f shape -- perhaps coincidentally, the spectral envelope
of a periodic On-Off Keyed signal follows a 1/f profile.

In a sense, that is what a matched filter does in the signal processing world
-- and we know that matched filters, in the absence of QRM, optimizes SNR in an
AWGN channel.  Although I won't go as far as extend linear matched filter
theory to the highly non-linear ear-brain system, it still raised my curiosity
when I first saw the Yaesu filter plots which someone kindly posted earlier.

When there is strong adjacent QRM though, you may still have to "roof" the APF
with a filter that has more abrupt skirt -- similar problem exists with matched
filters for RTTY: they are great for pulling signals out of the noise.  But you
need to engage a more abrupt filter when QRM creeps closer in.

73
Chen, W7AY