I noticed a similar issue a couple of weeks ago during the CQ WW, with
whatever firmware I last installed a few months ago. I was working my way
slowly up the band calling stations and not retuning the ATU each time I
called. Presumably because of the way the ATU stores settings per frequency
which may not be correct for the antenna I am using now, every now and then
I would cross a boundary to a new stored value and suddenly see a HIGH SWR
warning and have to retune. After retuning the output was only 50W or so,
but it recovered to full output after several seconds of calling.

My guess is it's a product of the fact that a lot of things in the K3 are
controlled by software, which does not want to make sudden changes to things
that would normally be expected to remain constant. It's just one of the
quirks of the K3 that you get used to.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com