On Dec 31, 2010, at 2:27 PM, gold...@charter.net wrote:

> I have tried different settings for mike input for rear line in and
> everything that everyone has suggested.

If you have already turned on VOX in DATA-A mode and nothing works still, try
measuring the sound card's audio with a multimeter.  Something like an old
Fluke 76 can easily read AC waveforms of 2 kHz.  A scope would be much better,
of course, or some sound card program that behaves like an audio scope.

See if you can set the sound card output to put out around 250 mV to 350 mV RMS
when the software is "transmitting."  If you can, and you are using the rear
panel Line Input, then set the Mic Gain to 6 and VOX gain to 022 for starters.

If nothing measurable comes out of the sound card, your problem is on the
computer end, not on the radio end.

When cocoaModem users have birth pangs, I always ask them to first select the
computer's built-in speakers and see if they can hear anything from the
speakers when they "transmit."  Then, switch over to the sound card that is
connected to the radio.  This removes the "operator shorted to ground" problem.

73
Chen, W7AY