John Ragle wrote:

> The   K3.XML   file available from the FLDIGI site works completely,
> reliably, and correctly inside FLDIGI (with the K3 in RigCAT and WIN XP
> or WIN 7). I would be glad to supply settings if requested (however,
> that is not what the gentleman asked for). FLDIGI does not "require"
> HAMLIB for rig support.

The problem does exist and affects Fldigi (both RigCAT and HamLib options),
KComm and any software that uses Hamlib as an interface to the radio. It
only affects Prolific USB to serial adapters. FTDI adapters and real serial
ports are OK as far as I know.

I am only an amateur programmer so others may know better but I believe that
the Prolific adapters only work reliably with software that uses the
MSCOMM.OCX component for serial port access. This basically means programs
written using Microsoft development tools.

The programs mentioned above are open source software developed using open
source tools which use open source libraries for serial port access. Open
source development tools do not support OCX components because they are
Windows specific so ham software developers who use these tools cannot use
this component to solve the problem. Nor can they fix the problem themselves
because they don't actually write the serial port code. All they can do is
complain to the developers of the serial port libraries who reply "it works
fine with a real serial port so there is nothing wrong with our code, it is
the Prolific adapter serial port emulation that is at fault." Which, while
not being the helpful response you might expect from the developer of a
component if you had paid good money for it, is nevertheless true.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html