Short of using something like the KK7UQ IMD meter the best way to know
how clean you signal is is to have the guy at the other end send you a
screen shot of your signal on his waterfall.

If you use something like the IMD meter, the lower the number the
better. Your shooting for -25 or lower.
If you get a screen shot you want NO tracks outside of the two main
carriers.
Treat reported IMD numbers from others like S meter readings. The
quality of that number has a lot to do with the software they're using
and how strong your signal is.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H