I think the same answer applies as to the earlier thread about running 100W
on digital modes using a K3. With PSK31 the IMD products will be too high
running the K2/10 at 10W, though to be fair, having done the comparison, my
own K2/10 is cleaner at 10W than my K3 is at the same power level and is
probably within the bounds of acceptability.

Olivia, MFSK and RTTY should be OK at 10W as they are FSK mode (though
Olivia has been all but killed off over here by the selfish hordes running
the 2.2kHz wide ROS mode above 14.100.) But the K2/10 was not designed for
extended key-down operation. As the heat sink for the 10W PA is the bottom
of the case there isn't much scope for doing what you suggest unless you
want the K2 to sit on a heat sink. But you should also look at the driver
stage which is not heat sinked at all. I found that ran hotter than the PA
so I fitted a small heat sink to it internally. I do run my K2 at 10W in
digital modes but only for APRS packet where the transmissions a maximum of
a few seconds.

Julian, G4ILO

Owen B. Mehegan wrote:

> At the moment I mostly use my K2 (no KPA100) for data modes - PSK31
> and Olivia. I've read that it's recommended you keep the power to 5
> watts for these modes due to the high duty cycle, so I've been doing
> that. But there are times when I hear faraway stations but they don't
> hear me. Maybe it would be futile, but the temptation to turn up the
> power to try and make contact is always there.
>
> Neither antenna improvements nor any sort of amp are in my immediate
> future, but I was thinking today... if cooling the finals is the main
> concern, has anyone tried modding their K2 to include a more beefy
> heatsink and a small fan? Just wondering if the idea even makes any
> sense...

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com