Yup, wherever Phil was, Phil got away with it. Phil is the exception that
proves the rule.

Nobody near where I lived in lower New York state would get away with it
(rocks for ground).  I didn't get away with it in the Virginia suburbs of
DC. And that was good growing dirt, too -- best garden plot anywhere we've
lived.  You can get away with it big time at the edge of salt water.  Trick
is to either know all the issues, how they apply to where you are, and how
to deal with them,  OR get lucky.   Lottery anyone?

What I really don't understand, from a reflector populated with those who
want 1 Hertz accuracy all the time on their K3's and fuss if they don't get
it, who want really complex options to deal with subtle efficiencies in a
contest and write brain-damage macros to orchestrate them, who have
arguments over the difference between 400 and 500 watts, who argue that 0.3
dB makes a difference in a contest, etc, etc.....

....what I really don't understand, from THIS crowd, is why antenna issues
that result in +/- 8 dB swings in the radiation outcome are heartily dissed
as being optional.  Somebody explain that to me.  If we were even one tenth
as hard on our antenna stuff as we are on the K3, we wouldn't be having this
discussion.

I have heard from far more discouraged attempts on 160m (killed by ground
issues) than even my own cynical "most 160m antenna installations are sh*t"
assessment of 160 antennary would predict.  Even at a purely selfish level,
when the 160 tests roll around, I would LOVE to have all those discouraged
tried-to-get-on-160 hams on the band with grand signals to keep things
lively for the whole contest and run up all our scores.

Let's quit being such apologists for the status quo on verticals and radial
systems.

73, and may you put out a killer signal on 160 and stomp my b*tt in a
pileup.

(Then you can say you beat K2AV at his own game.  Except it will be me,
sitting in front of my K3, grinning ear-to-ear, thinking, "now THAT's a
signal".)

Guy.