On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 12:07:03 -0400
"Clyde Washburn" <k...@rochester.rr.com> wrote:

> According to the NEC a buried pipe with corrosion protection over 8ft
> long is an acceptable grounding electrode, with a listed hierarchy of
> preference for different types of pipes.  Metallic water pipes are
> 1st on the list.  Normally other pipes are used only when the water
> pipe is non-metallic.

That's what I've got here.

The panel is grounded to the cold water supply which runs 15' to the
basement wall and then 6' deep all the way out to the street (70'). The
water meter is metal (bronze) and there is no plastic anywhere in the
system.

My shack ground is an 5/8" x 8' copper clad rod connected to 2" copper
ribbon which runs from the other end of the house, enters the basement
where the electrical service does (boy I love buried service) and is
clamped under the same wire clamp used for the electrical panel.

The only ground rod in the system is the one next to my shack window.

70' of metal water pipe is a pretty good ground.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H