Hi, Phil,

I remember posting this information some time back but can't find it.  So
here is a summary:

I found the best solution to portable operation with the KX-1 is to use
rechargeable 3.7 VDC Li Ion AA cells.  You have to rewire the battery
holders so that they are in parallel rather than in series.  That gives you
three cells in each holder at about 11.1 VDC.   The power output when
operating portable then approaches the same levels as when operating from a
power supply.

One source of the cells is at
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1336 .
There are many other places to get them as well.  You also need a charger
that will accommodate the Li Ion.   I did find that these cells are minutely
smaller than standard AA cells.  You can get them to fit snugly into the
holder by putting a small blob of solder on the contacts in the battery
holders (not on the batteries!).

Some KX-1 users have built charging circuitry into the KX-1, but I elected
not to do so as it really complicates things.  So the batteries have to be
removed from the rig for recharging.  But there is information on
incorporating a built-in charger on the web.

Let me know if you have any questions . . .

73,

John, WA6L