You can read the detailed description at the link I gave. In fact, it claims
to have "active bias for improved SSB linearity." So it is definitely
intended for SSB use.

I agree that a graph of output power vs. input power should be a straight
line. But I don't believe there is a "linear amplifier" out there in the
real world, particularly a solid state one, where that is actually remotely
true. The practical answer may be less how much non-linearity is acceptable
so much as how much linearity the state of the art is capable of within the
acceptable price range.

So I think Stan WB2LQF deserved a better answer to his request for an
"output for input" schedule than the statement that it was a linear
relationship. If Elecraft is indeed claiming the relationship between input
and output of the KPA500 is perfectly linear then let them say it. Otherwise
I don't believe it.

Peter Wollan-2 wrote:

> Perhaps that Mirage amp is intended for FM?  Not all amps need to be
> linear.
>
>      Peter W0LLN
>

> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Wes Stewart <n...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Then by definition, they aren't linear.
>>
>> A graph of output power vs. input power should be a straight line.  It it
>> isn't then it's non-linear.  The practical question is how much
>> non-linearity is acceptable.
>>
>> --- On Wed, 5/11/11, Julian, G4ILO <julian.g4...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> If it does that then it will be the first linear amplifier
>>> I have ever seen
>>> that actually keeps that relationship across the whole of
>>> its range.
>>>
>>> Most solid state amplifiers exhibit noticeable compression
>>> as you increase
>>> the input power, so you get a lot more than half the rated
>>> power out for
>>> half the specified drive power.
>>>
>>> Take a look at the figures for this Mirage amp (selected at
>>> random as being
>>> the first spec sheet I could find that proved the point.)
>>> It is only truly
>>> linear up to half its rated output. 10W in gives the rated
>>> 160W output, but
>>> 5W gives you 150W 2.5W would give you somewhere around
>>> 120W. The VHF amp I
>>> have here has a similar characteristic. Although it is
>>> designed to be driven
>>> with 5W input I am actually driving it with the K3/K144XV
>>> with less than
>>> half that power and still get virtually full output.
>>>
>>> So I think the OP actually asked a very reasonable
>>> question.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com