For ease of install you can't beat the Debian based distro Ubuntu.
I'd suggest a really lightweight desktop manager like Fluxbox, XFCE, or
the like because you don't have the horsepower to run Gnome or KDE.

I run Ubuntu 10.10 amd64 with an XFCE desktop manager.
For rig control your going to need Hamlib.
For logging I use CQRLog (MySQL database back end).
For digimodes I use FLDigi.
The nice thing about both of those packages is that they support the
K1EL winkeyer. My version is the USB.

I do run Windows (XP and 7) in virtual sessions on my machine using
Oracle Virtualbox because I have to support them professionally. The
only thing keeping me from dumping windows totally is my work and a
really good contesing app for Linux. Yes, I know about TLF but it can't
compete with N1MM.

There is a Linux version of the K3 utility you should be able to
get to from the Elecraft website.

You shouldn't have many hardware issues because the laptop is old
enough to be fully supported from that point of view. Even on cutting
edge hardware Linux is a whole lot better than it used to be.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H