Wayne,

Thank you for your detailed answer.

I was following the conversation (or thought I was) that the external
reference and transverter lock was another way to get high
stability/accuracy at UHF and higher frequencies.  I guess the issue
then becomes, which is more annoying and/or more effective?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but wouldn't a .25 (or better)
ppm-calibrated TXCO be less expensive than all the other stuff, and take
up a lot less room (and weight)?

I'm really curious about this (and the RTC question I posed) mainly
because I'm working with a supplier right now on a fix for a drifting
time-of-day clock issue, and the proposed solution involves a Seiko TXCO
oscillator that operates over -40C to +85C (automotive interior) and
supposedly gives .5 ppm.

73,

-- Dave, N8SBE