I'm sure this is old news to many K3 users with the K144XV installed in their
K3 but as Wayne mentioned quite some time ago on this reflector the K144XV
'Rocks'.  I have never operated 2 meter SSB before and had the pleasure of
installing the 2 meter option to a friends new K3.  The install was straight
forward and I again marveled at the thought put into the design and placement
of the K144XV in the K3.  I downloaded the latest firmware after I setup the
phase lock calibration and tuned the band.  Mind you I had a 2 foot handitalkie
whip on the K3.  I turned to the 2 meter calling frequency and low and behold
there was a friend talking to a guy about 50 miles north of us.  Guess what?  I
could copy both sides of the conversation and when I broke to call my friend he
told me to stand by and when he came back he introduced me to the other party
of the qso.  I didn't think there was anyway that this guy in Wyoming could
copy me but he was copying me 100% about an S5.  Needless to say I was
shocked.  Granted he had a tall tower and 11 element 2 meter antenna pointed my
way but still...There I was with a dinky little vertical whip sitting in my
basement running 10 watts and talking with this guy 50 miles to the north in
another state.  The bug struck and now I too ordered the internal 2 meter
option for my K3 SN 176.  Who knows maybe I'll get into moon bounce, ha.
Anyone have any suggestions for a 2 meter amplifier for the station?  Thanks
again Elecraft for putting the fun back into the hobby.  Best 73, Steve W0SZ