I believe that there was a miss communication here.  When people were
were suggesting that the internal battery area in the KX3 be used for a
full power 2 meter transmitter, they weren't just asking that that the
battery compartment be permanently removed.  I believe what some were
asking for, was the ability to remove the battery pack and then have
access to an additional 'hook' that would ALSO provided the ability to
attach a full power 2 meter module. This could allow for both types of
operations.
For those that do want the internal battery, they could use the standard
'hook' for the 2m module, and remove the ATU from it's intended
location, thereby allowing the battery to be installed..
Of course this means a duplicate flex cable that terminates to a 'hook'
board where it could sit in the unused battery compartment (and be
removed with some ease).. This of course also means that Elecraft has
one more option 'board/bracket' to sell you...

Another thing I would like to see, and this goes for the K3 as well, is
the ability to turn off the Backlight, AND be able to turn off the LED's
as well.  The LEDs need only to be on for Delta mode (split) etc, and
don't need to be seen at all times. For those that do want them on all
the time, it would still be nice if we were able to dim them down to the
lowest setting (as they do when the backlight is on)
In my opinion this would help save energy and LEDs when someone is using
their rig portable, or in a 'remote' setup, and wants to leave it on
24/7 as I do when I travel.  I would rather not have the LEDs burning
needlessly if I'm not there to see them. Especially since their going at
full brightness in the 'day' mode.

Just my 2 cents,

Michael
N6MQL