It's not a hard-and-fast rule, John, nor is it limited to QRP. Good
operating practice is to listen more than talk. In a QSO you may talk as
much as the other station, for a 50-50 ratio. If you're long-winded, you may
exceed that, Hi!

But, when looking for a contact, take the time to listen to what is going on
around the band and especially on or near the frequency where you plan to
transmit if preparing to call CQ. Then, after asking if the frequency is
busy (send QRL? if using CW) and then calling CQ, listen far more than you
send. Even though most people will call you on the same frequency nowadays,
it often takes someone a while to 'tune up' on your frequency to call you.

Some ops leave only a second or two between CQ's but it's usually more
productive to allow more time between calls.

My Ham experience goes back to the days when most Hams used crystal control
and I keep the habit of tuning up and down a couple of kHz from my calling
frequency after each CQ. Even today, I'll occasionally get a call from a
crystal-controlled rig near my frequency, but not on it. That's especially
true around the common QRP frequencies. (I usually move to his freq as soon
as we hook up.)

Years ago we often spoke of certain "Alligator Operators" - all mouth and no
ears, Hi! They are still around.

The bottom line is to have fun and behave as if you are at a party where a
lot of conversations are going on.

Now, contesting is another matter. Presumably the same rules apply but
exchanges are going fast and furious. In reality, a lot of people get rude,
stomping on other QSOs, calling without listening with their robo-stations,
etc. Personally, I stay out of bar room brawls in town and contests on the
Ham bands :-), but I know a lot of people have great fun with them.

73,

Ron AC7AC