Tom,

That microphone has an internal amplifier, and the resistor acts as a
collector load resistor.  I would guess that anything from the
recommended 820 ohms up to about 2k would work, but I can't say for sure
since I do not have data on the current drawn by the amplifier from a 5
volt supply.

If your microphone works, leave it as-is.  If it does not (or results in
a distorted signal), then change the resistor when you can get one.

73,
Don W3FPR