I've been reading the technical literature lately and have been following an interesting development: ultracapacitors. These components are on the order of 5K to 20K Farads. So I did a little calculating.

1F = 1V * 1 Coulomb.
1 Coulomb = 1 Ampere Second
Thus 1F = 1V * 1 Amp Second.

5000 F / 12 V = 416 2/3 Amp Seconds.
416 2/3 Amp Seconds / 0.5 A = 833 seconds or 13.8 minutes.

If I have done this correctly you should be able to run a QRP rig key down for approximately 14 minutes with a fully charged 5K Farad ultracapacitor. From what I have been reading these are getting cheaper via economies of scale and from engineering breakthroughs in dielectric and storage plate materials. The storage plates are activated charcoal plated on aluminum strips and wound into a can filled with electrolyte. The electrolyte material, acetonitrile, is the rub however. If it burns cyanide gas is produced in dangerous quantities. Nanotube technology and more recent electrolyte chemisty advances are offering even greater capacitance in smaller packages.

One day we may be running our rigs from ultracapacitors instead of batteries. They recharge extremely rapidly. They store charge for a long period of time. And they discharge at rates that put the best batteries to shame. If you need high amperage devices (think your 100 watt rig on transmit) these will fill the bill.

Since electrochemical devices are reaching their limits this may be the next mobile power storage device.
   Kevin.  KD5ONS