Jim:

I used to design electronic instrumentation at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, usually built under my direct supervision by the very competent technicians in my research group. However, when we came to installing SMT, we always farmed it out to an expert SMT constructor (a young woman with extremely steady hands and sharp eyes who did the SMT work for the whole Division). Admittedly, we did that for cost effectiveness of construction, and arguably, the cost of the time of an amateur constructor need not be taken into account. Perhaps it is possible for the typical amateur constructor to learn how to build SMT gear.

However, as Wayne pointed out in a post some months back, there is another issue with SMT. It is extremely costly for the kit manufacturer to support amateur constructors of SMT when the constructed kit fails to work correctly. If SMT kits are to become popular among amateur builders and profitable to the vendors, then some cost effective means of technical support needs to be devised.

73,

Steve
AA4AK