I did two things to improve the user interface of my K3. My guess is that this
eliminated
95% of my serious user errors:

1) Put a piece of tape over the V->M button. Now I don't mistake it for M->V.

2) Created SPLIT and UNSPLIT macros, operated by one of the memory buttons.
SPLIT
activates SPLIT, turns on the subreceiver and sets VFO B up 2 kHz; unsplit
undoes it. No
more "VCO UP UP LID!"

--
Vic, K2VCO